Contemporary artist's studio - Brooklyn, NYContemporary artist's studio
A fine art painting and photography studio operating in Brooklyn is currently seeking a full-time, well-organized, and self-motivated Studio Manager to coordinate a high level of activity including multiple exhibitions and special projects for a high-profile contemporary artist. This individual is expected to possess the following skills and qualifications for consideration:
The Studio Manager will be responsible for overseeing day-to-day operations of a working artist studio, managing its staff, and liaising with multiple galleries and institutions. Individual must have excellent written and verbal communication skills and a professional demeanor. A Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in Art History, Fine Art Management, or Business Management is essential. Must have documented experience (2-5 years) in managing an artist's studio, gallery, artist's cooperative, or similar experience in a related field with knowledge of contemporary art. Starting salary commensurate with experience.
- Must be superbly organized, detail-oriented, and possess strong communication skills.
- Must have leadership and comprehension skills necessary to work closely with artist, respecting artist's schedule, and supporting artist's priorities and vision.
- Ability to write artist statements, press releases, and/or editing media communications to/from galleries and institutions.
- Proficiency with MacOS X, Microsoft Office Suite, Photoshop, FileMaker Pro, Artbase, and Quickbooks.
- Hardware and software troubleshooting skills with Apple equipment and accessories.
- Work directly with the artist, as well as the Lead Studio Assistant and studio members to ensure open communication of overall studio production to determine schedules and materials needed.
- Liaise between galleries, museums, and collectors in the best interest of the artist in a timely fashion.
- Manage budgets, income & expenditures, and payroll. Track & report transactions and employee hours, and work directly with bookkeeper and accountant.
- Maintain image archive for paintings and photographs.
- Coordinate travel arrangements for artist and companion/s, and be available to occasionally travel with the artist for lectures, exhibitions, and special projects.
- Manage hiring and coordinate internship projects according to studio needs.
- Additional studio tasks include: purchasing office supplies, opening & sorting mail, running errands, maintaining studio cleanliness, scanning and faxing, fielding phone calls, scheduling messenger pick ups and deliveries, and other duties as needed.